When travelling to Guernsey in the Channel Islands, expect the best of both England and France as geographically, the island is closer to France – just 30 miles – a little nearer than the 70 miles from the south coast of England. With customs probably more aligned to Brittany than to Britain, there’s an interesting mix of the best of both countries on offer with English widely spoken.
Once home to Victor Hugo, the Bailiwick of Guernsey, with its laid back atmosphere and long summer days, is a particularly fascinating island to visit in the summer months. Guernsey is home to Britain’s cleanest beach at Vazon Bay, the world’s smallest chapel – Little Chapel – and, as the locals tend to say, the prettiest harbour town in Europe, St.Peter Port, which was also the winner of the RHS Britain in Bloom 2014 loveliest coastal town. It’s a real walker’s paradise with clifftop trails and coastal paths which are easy to follow with the help of audio guides and interactive maps. The little islands of Hern, Sark and Alderney are not far away by boat or plane and there’s plenty to keep a visitor occupied.
What’s on in Guernsey this Summer:
Why travel via ferry?
- No luggage restrictions – the kitchen sink can travel with you!
- Fido can come too!
- Huge range of routes and companies to choose from.
- Book on the move via AFerry.co.uk’s apps for both Android and iPhone.
- With families expanding more, it’s often more cost effective to travel by car and ferry than by air plus there’s no baggage fees.
- Bookings can be amended or changed on the road with AFerry’s app and iPad app access.
- Want to know what it’s like to travel via AFerry.co.uk? Check out the review section – perfect for #ferryfirsttimers.
AFerry.co.uk is the world’s leading on-line ferry brand, featuring unique real-time comparison technology for ferries, generating over 55 million unique visitors per year and over 3,000 bookings per day. It is not just for travel to and from the UK, this handy site covers European and worldwide routes too – over 1,800 ferry routes connecting more than 140 ferry operators. Check out the AFerry app for iPhone andAndroid.
If you would like to use a ferry crossing as part of a travel article or have an idea about a promotion, please contact Gillian Green at Magellan +44 (0)23 92 361 426 (+44 (0) 7515 283 287) or Alexandra Pinhorn Think UK to Ireland or France or Spain to North Africa – with the global coverage offered by AFerry.co.uk, the possibilities are endless.