The second Royal Wedding of 2011 is the long awaited union of HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco with his bride-to-be, the South African Charlene Wittstock this Friday, 1st July. We have had a little sneak preview of the event as one of our clients, The Fairmont Monte Carlo, is catering for the cocktail reception for the local Monegasques, following the civil ceremony (the religious service is on Saturday). The wedding will encapsulate the couple’s nationality, their interest in environmental preservation and the local Monegasque population.
- There will be 6,000 Monegasques attending the reception.
- 200 Fairmont Monte Carlo staff will be involved in the catering operation.
- There will be 180 metres of buffet tables.
- The menu will feature specialities from Africa (courtesy of sister hotel – Fairmont Zimbali Resort’s Executive Chef, Dean Uren) as well as local dishes by Executive Chef Maryan Gandon.
- Most of the buffet including the plates and cutlery will be made from biodegradable material.
- 40 kiddies from the Fairmont Monte Carlo’s “Les Petits Chefs” programme with local schools, will be in attendance to represent Monegasque youth.
- Les Petits Chefs will offer the bride and groom a symbolic gesture of the nuptials – a “pièce montée”, fresh fruits and a bouquet of white King Protea (typical South African flowers).
- La Brasserie de Monaco, a partner of the wedding, has created a special beer to commemorate the event – the “Mariage Princier” which will be served on the day and at the Fairmont Monte Carlo’s Saphir and Champagne Bars exclusively for a week following.
- Local artist Mateo Mornar has created a symbolic sculpture to be placed on the wedding cake.
- Jean Michel Jarre will give a special concert Friday evening on Le Port Hercule.
- The Fairmont Monte Carlo has had the pleasure of working with the Palace on three previous Royal occasions – the 700th anniversary of the Grimaldi dynasty in 1997, the 50th Anniversary of Prince Rainier III in 1999 and in 2005, the coronation of HSH Prince Albert II.
To celebrate the event – and to enjoy some of the special exhibitions co-inciding with the wedding – The Fairmont Monte Carlo has unveiled their Royal Wedding Package (minimum two night stay) to include champagne, canapes and cocktail on arrival with flowers and chocolates in your guest room, daily buffet breakfast, a special Royal Wedding gift, service and tax. Rates start at Euros 429 per night for a Fairmont room, double occupancy and it is valid until 10th July 2011, subject to availability. (www.fairmont.com/montecarlo).
Contributor: Sue Lowry
Fairmont Monte Carlo is part of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts which is a client of Magellan PR.