America’s loss was the UK’s gain when legendary bartender, Harry Craddock sought refuge in our country following the imposition of Prohibition in 1920.
The Savoy’s archive shows that he seems to have started work pretty much immediately at the Hotel when reaching landfall – as their records show him working in the Dispense Bar. From this early beginning, he worked his way up to Head Barman of the American Bar in 1926 on the retirement of Ada “Coley” Coleman.
He is perhaps best known however for compiling all the recipes for the cocktail section of The Savoy Cocktail Book which was originally published in 1930. These included all the standards and special creations dreamed up by Craddock and his predecessors in the American Bar. He is credited with having invented the White Lady at The Savoy.
The Savoy Cocktail Book (complete with hilarious asides on some of the recipes) is still in print and available from The Savoy’s Tea Boutique or online at a cost of GBP17.00.
Contributor: Sue Lowry
The Savoy London is managed by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts which is a client of Magellan PR. For more information, please visit www.fairmont.com, follow them on twitter @FairmontHotels or on Facebook/Fairmont Hotels. Their community website is www.everyonesanoriginal.com. Follow The Savoy London on twitter @TheSavoyLondon and on Facebook/The Savoy.
Magellan PR is on twitter: @MagellanPR / on Facebook: MagellanPR / on Pinterest: Sue Lowry / on Google+: Sue Lowry & MagellanPR and on Flickr: Sue Lowry. For more information on our company, visit www.magellan-pr.com. Follow our other blog focussing on travel in the South of England – A3 Traveller.
- Vintage Photo Series – John Wayne at The Savoy London (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Bing with a …. bear? (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Bob Dylan at The Savoy (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Fairmont Château Laurier (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Fred Astaire with his sister Adele at The Savoy (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Santa Monica Muscle Beach (magellanstraits.com)