This classic image from The Savoy’s rooftop is of American golfer Walter Hagen who was celebrating his first British Open win in 1922. The Savoy’s roof was used a great deal in the past for photo opportunities and in this particular shot, archivist Susan Scott believes that Hagan was driving balls into a barge on the River Thames. Other celebrated golfers then followed in his footsteps until access to the roof was prohibited.
Contributor: Sue Lowry
The Savoy London is managed by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts which is a client of Magellan PR. For more information, please visit www.fairmont.com, follow them on twitter @FairmontHotels or on Facebook/Fairmont Hotels. Their community website is www.everyonesanoriginal.com. Follow The Savoy London on twitter @TheSavoyLondon and on Facebook/The Savoy.
Magellan PR is on twitter: @MagellanPR / on Facebook: MagellanPR / on Pinterest: Sue Lowry / on Google+: Sue Lowry & MagellanPR and on Flickr: Sue Lowry. For more information on our company, visit www.magellan-pr.com. Follow our other blog focussing on travel in the South of England – A3 Traveller.
- Vintage Photo Series – John Wayne at The Savoy London (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Bing with a …. bear? (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Bob Dylan at The Savoy (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Fairmont Château Laurier (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Fred Astaire with his sister Adele at The Savoy (magellanstraits.com)
- Vintage Photo Series – Santa Monica Muscle Beach (magellanstraits.com)