You may think that this is inconsequential but you would be quite wrong. Whoever came up with the idea of constructing it is a genius in my humble opinion – it’s as plain and simple as that.
The Pier was the centre of my world at the resort. I breakfasted, gazing at it – struck by how different it looked in different lights and times of the day.
I was protective of it (only Viceroy guests are allowed on behind the VIP rope) and watched sternly and – has to be said – just a little smugly when passers-by were politely asked to exit it.
My love of the Pier is predominantly decorative – however there is a practical side too. We could depart for our snorkel and scuba diving trips from the Pier – rather than having to trek down to Playa del Carmen as you do at other resorts. That makes a huge difference on the return, wet, tired and just a bit dishevelled. Waiting for you on the Pier are smiling Viceroy staff with fruit kebabs, juices and iced towels. Sigh.
It was however for the yoga lesson that the Pier came into its own (as illustrated by lithe ladies – Lanee Neil and Nina Hahn). Listening to the lapping water underneath and to the birds soaring above whilst attempting the crane pose, makes you fully live in the moment, forget yourself and enjoy the exercise to the full. Unforgettable.
I can’t wait to return to “My” Pier again – hopefully in the very near future. It’s unbeatable and a wonderful focal point. Sorry Viceroy Riviera Maya – I seem to be claiming ownership of it!
Contributor & photographer: Sue Lowry
Viceroy Riviera Maya is a client of Magellan PR. Follow on Twitter @ViceroyRM, become a fan on Facebook/ViceroyRM or visit www.viceroyrivieramaya.com.
Magellan PR is on twitter: @MagellanPR, on Facebook/MagellanPR, Flickr, Google + and Pinterest. For more information on our company, visit www.magellan-pr.com. Follow our other blog focussing on travel in the South of England – A3 Traveller.
- ‘Yoga on the Pier’ at the stunning Viceroy Riviera Maya, Mexico (magellanstraits.com)
- Shaken not stirred: Magellan’s Cocktail List – Magnificently Mesmorizing Margherita! (magellanstraits.com)
- Hanging around at Viceroy Riviera Maya! (magellanstraits.com)
- Every resort should have one … (magellanstraits.com)
- Towel Origami: The Viceroy Riviera Maya Way! (magellanstraits.com)
- Jungle Living Down Mexico Way! (magellanstraits.com)
- Not just any old view …. (magellanstraits.com)
- Seen on a trip to Viceroy Riviera Maya … (magellanstraits.com)
- If only all breakfasts were like this … (magellanstraits.com)
- In a lather at Viceroy Riviera Maya (magellanstraits.com)